Heartbreaking..yet heartwarming.Was headed up to the N.C. mountains today to try and sneak up on some of the guys to mooch a beer, but I got somewhat detoured.Beautiful day riding back in the mountains riding along side the Ocoee river. Just letting her sweep thru the curves back and forth. Smooth relaxing ride.I was riding along when I thought...I'm getting a little hungry. So I thought I'd hit 30 and ride up along the Reliance river and stop off a little place I know there for lunch. Now a "little place" for me is a shade tree along the roaring rapids, and lunch was what ever I pick'd up back down the road at the little country store, which was Veianny's (?), never can spell that damn word, and cheese crackers, beefjerky, and a couple of beers, ...and a honey bun. The road running along the Reliance river is a narrow two lane back road. When I say narrow I mean....you watch the mirrows on oppisit bound cars, which are few. Really a cool road to just mosey along.Well I turn off into the gravels and ease the bike over to the shade by the river. Now this is where the "detour" comes into play. Just as I get off my bike and open my saddlebags here comes a whole passel of damn pups out of the bushes, 6 in all. Can't be 6 weeks old, maybe, ...you be the judge when you see the video. Cute as can be. Got two runts in the bunch that are having a hard time of it, but the rest just was hungery as hell, and they drank two helmets full of water, well some of that was a cool down bath too. Now I didn't get to eat a bite of my lunch, let's just say it went to the dogs. Some coldhearted son-of-a-bitch dumped these little pups out to die. I was so far back up in the mountains that they were no houses or anything. PUPS!! My heart was breaking watching them eat. The bank was to steep for them to get to the water, or they was just to little to know where to get water...whatever, they were thirsting to death. I took my helmet and filled it with cold water from the river and...well, watch the vid.While I was there a man and a woman pulled up in a nice kingcab ford truck. They came over and said..."oh how cute, are they yours?", and I told them they appeared to have been dumped. So now I ask the two of them to do something. I say " I live about 45 miles down the road, if you'll carry these pups half the way and give me a 30 minute jump so I can take my bike home and get my truck I'll meet you halfway and get the pups, and I'll give ya $20 for your time/gas whatever. The woman was all for doing something but the guy hesitated. So, I say how a bout $40? And he says.."Well...Thats a new truck and I really don't want to be haulin' dogs in it". Well FUCK ME!. I look up at him and say...and your mama actually brought you home from the hospital when you were born!? Only thing I thought of at the time. They walked off.Fed them gave them lots of water and a cool off bath, I got to leave. I stop at the edge of the gravel to look to see if there is any cars coming brfor I pullout,...and I made the mistake of looking in my mirrow. All 6 of them was watching me leave. I looked at them and said to myself....I'll be back, just hold on. 80..85 miles round trip, but I went home and got my truck and in a couple of hours me and 6 new friends was riding in the ac, hell ya. I took a couple of bowls from the house and stop'd and got some ice from Mcdonalds and a couple can of potted meat. Bellies full, safe and cool. A stop at the dollar store for some flea wash and some dog food, and toys of course.Now I got 4 dogs i got to find homes for. Yes 4, I'm keeping Hounddog Jr and Earl.
I don't understand how anyone can be so heartless. You did good, my wife will be ecstatic when I show her this. She is so tender hearted, but when it comes to animals she is near crazy. We had a neighbor for awhile that had a little dog in a pen that she would give food and water to because the people that lived there either didn't have the money or the sense to feed it. Long story short, they were moving so they asked us if we knew anybody that would like to have the dog. We called a couple of people and found a new owner with the actual first call. He came and picked up the dog and took it home with him to give the dog a good home. Now Rhonda, being Rhonda cried because she was upset that the dog was leaving it's home. It was killing her to think that the dog was scared about new people and new surroundings. That's just Rhonda. That's also part of Why I love her...
ReplyDeleteAny way, good job Kenny and thanks for the story.
They're sweet pups,Kenny. You're a good man.
ReplyDelete