I got home and checked my messages on my home phone, there was 5 or 6 on it, and 4 or 5 on my cell phone. I listened to some of them and said to hell with the rest. Called my mom to check on her wellbeing, told her I would be outa pocket for awhile, and then turned off my cell phone.
Now for MY drug of choice.
I rolled the ol shovel outa the basement and fired her up and let her sit there and warm up while I filled a bowl of food for Junior. Dog fed, bike ready to go, I'm outa here. Rolled outa the driveway and headed for the backroads and mountains. Temps today was around 90, not to bad, so I headed for the other side of the mountain where the trees shaded the roads most everywhere, real cool under the canopy. Put maybe 30 miles on befor I stopped for gas and a couple of beers. Grab the beers and headed over to one of my favorite drinking spots...a cemetary. Might sound crazy but I find cemetary's interesting, and always peaceful place just to sit and think. Kinda puts shit into perspective too. Anywho, check this out. This actually happened to me awhile back but just haven't written about it. And this was where I was at today.
I pulled into this cemetary one day and pulled my bike up under this big ol tree next to some graves and when I got off the bike and pulled my helmet off I look'd around to check the place out and what did I see?...Most all the headstones where I was parked had "Davis" on them,....thats my name. Damn, no big deal, just thought it was a little....interesting.
So I sit down on the ground and lean back against the tree and drink my beer. Cold beer, nice quite place, and no one interrupted me while I was thinking. Now I'm starting to unwind a bit, I like this. Stretch my legs out to get a little more comfortable, and I bump a rock or something with my boot. I look down by my boots and there's these two concrete markers right at my feet. The letters on them were K D. Yall know me? Kenny Davis!! Now I'm thinking what is the chance of me parking my bike in a area with all Davis's,....but DAMN!!! what are the chances of my laying out to relax with two markers with my name on them at my feet? Now shit like this don't spook me, or I wouldn't be there in the first place if it did. It's just something to make you go..hmmm. Am I a Ghost Rider and just don't know it. Naw, just drink your beer and let things flow.
I go back there often now, it's like my own little "put things into perspective" place.
So, I finish my beers, and my conversation with everybody there and hit the road. Don't get me wrong, I never disrespect the cemetary or anyone there, just the oppisit. I like to walk around and see who all is there and read the headstones. There's some pretty interesting things on headstones, and I can just imagine the stories of some of the people there. Am I strange or what?
Rolling back thru the mountains again I get the need for a little more speed. I start to hit the twisties at a pretty good clip, floping the bike from side to side. When I hit this mode I know my mind is clear now, for this is no time to be worring about other shit. Total concentration is required. The fun factor just climbed a few notches. I don't claim to be an expert rider but I did have the floorboards scaping a time or two, and on these ol country backroads and up in the mountains you had better be a little skilled because your dodging roadkill, washouts, old fuckers on tractors, all kinds of shit. At least it's not like riding in town, that shit will kill ya.
After about 75 or 80 miles I roll back in at the house, Junior meets me at the basement door. I roll in the yard and play with junior for a while and wear his ass out,NOT, and drink another beer.
I feel better now. A good ride, a couple of beers, and my dog loves me. Life is good.
My friends, don't let things keep you from enjoying life. Do what you can about the things you can and the rest will work out somehow. I sat in that cemetary...on TOP of the dirt,...life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment