Friday, May 6, 2011

Pegtooths

....as I sat on side of the makeshift bed with my barefeet on the old unfinished wood floor I looked over the room to plot a path thru the shovels and pans that filled the shop. It was 5 or so in the morning and the only light was from the old store fronts across the street that shown thru the glass panes that covered the entire shop front. As I made my way across the room useing handlebars and seats as guides, and stepping over piles of jugs, heads, tins and many other assorted parts I could barley make out the couch in the middle of the room with Jeffro sleeping on it. I could hear Kinley snooring on the otherside of the room. I think anyone within a mile could have heard Kinley. I made it to the front door and stepped out into the cool night and watered the asphalt behind a car parked in front of the shop. As I stood there I looked around and thought if it wasn't for the late model cars you would think this town was in the 40s or 50s. Beautiful twostory stone front buildings, and covered side walk on one side. Old stores with old stuff in the windows, and all this right next to the White River where you can go on fishing trips. And right in the middle of all this is Craigs shop, with its own antiques in the front window display and the shop filled with old iron bikes.


I eased back in the front door and as I stood there for a minute for my eyes to adjust I enjoyed the warmth of the heat, and saw the beer cooler. I got a cold beer out and sat down on the cooler and thought of earler in the day,....the room was full of good people. There was laughter, joking, deals made, bikes worked on, old stories told, and some really good food, and beer. Julie B. made the best carrott cake that I have ever had, and if that wasn't enough she made sausage gravy/and biscuts,,and more. Craig made chilli, and stew,..and he says he can't cook. I beg to differ. Me? I brought Little Debbie cakes and beer.

A couple of locals dropped by and we got to meet some more great people. Craigs friend Ricky rode over and brought some asskicking homemade wine. he was a cool guy. It was a hell-a-va day.

I finished my beer and made my way back thru the Harley obstucal course to my bed. I lay down and drifted of to sleep thinking of my conversation with John ( Boogieman) about engine builds....was that 8o" jugs with 4.25 stroke? or.....

I honestly feel like I went back in time this last weekend at Craigs get together. And then I get calls this week from some that where there also, and I know....that the good times are not gone, there alive and well. For all you that were there I want to let you know that you are some good people and I'm proud to be able to call you my brothers.

Thank you Craig for the party, and the deal on the 74 shovel/basket case.

And everyone else thank you. Kenny

No comments:

Post a Comment