Friday, September 24, 2010

Mountain Run


Ok so yall have heard some of the guys talk about the Shovelhead Mountain Retreat up in N.C., and of the good times had by all. It was all true, we had a kickass time and I for one look forward to the spring party. But. There is one story that hasn't been told. I'll tell it the way it happened, or at least how I saw it. I'll get to that in a minute, first I need to give thanks to some special ladies.
Born-in-59 wanted to make the party but things happened that prevented her from making it. But being the darlin she is she sent me, the beer mooch, a 12 pack of beer by the way of Buzzurd. She said she couldn't make it but wanted to contribute to the BMT. Thank you darlin, I enjoyed every last one of those beers. Come spring time you get your ass to the mountains and the drinks on me.
Darlene, (buzzurds wife) who also sent me a 12 pack of beer for the Tour, first let me thank you for the refreshments. I drank one for you several times over the weekend. You too are to get your ass up there in the spring. Second let me give you my sympathy for having to put up with "the Buzzurd."
.
Thursday night my bike was packed and ready to head for the mountains as soon as I was off work Friday. I wanted to leave early and get a good jump on the weekend but as it turned out I had to work all day. Now I don't sleep worth a shit anyway but the night befor a run I'm allways restless and don't get much if any sleep. The point here is ...no sleep, it will come into play over the weekend. No sleep, lotsa beer, more beer, rain....and a mob with torches!!!
I arrived at the Kickstand late friday evening, just a couple hours ride from my place. The gang was all there and hoopin' and hollerin' and swilling beer. I could see the bikes and hear the party befor I ever turned into the place. And just as always it was backslappin' and laughs as soon as I climbed off my bike. With a beer in hand the party was getting cranked up. Saw some forum members from the spring fling, and a few that was at the fest, and some new faces. I could tell a story about each and everyone of them, but I'm not forsure how long I can hold yall's attention so I'll save those stroies for later.
The drinking and partying went on till...? ...sometime in the morning? . I really don't remember. There was some heavy drinking going on and it wasn't all beer. All I know was I woke-up Saturday morning still ( a little ) drunk.
Now I'm no light weight......I was sitting at the picnic table early Saturday morning having me some gravy&biscuts with deer sauage...and a cold beer. I started drinking a little too early I think. With no sleep to speak of and drinking like I was,...well it kinda caught up with me and sometime Saturday I needed to shut my eyes for a couple of minutes. Now to find a place where i could "safely" shut them is another thing. I know this crowd, and some of them party in shifts, and if you look like your about to take a snooze these shits will razz your ass.
Now I got this all figured out. On the otherside of the lodge there is this picnic table out in the feild, with a canopy and everything, and it's away from everybody. It's actualy where any bike repairs were done, kinda like the "repair" tent at the Fest. So I ease my way out of the party and head around the building to the picnic table. I stretch out on the table and pull my cap down over my eyes. Cool breeze blowing, over to the side was a little creek with the water rambling along. It's not long befor I start to drift off a little. And then there's this damn nat...fly..I don't know what the hell it is but it keeps bothering me. Then I start to hear this giggling shit and clicking going on. I pull my cap up and here's Todd (naturalhorse) and....hell I really don't remember who all it was but there was about 5 or 6, maybe more, fuckin' with me taking pics ( I think). All I know is by the time I got upright they were all headed back around to the party having a good laugh. I had to laugh myself, I woulda been doing the same thing. So I get up and return to the party.
Oh it gets better, or worse, depends on what end of this stroy your on.
We party Friday into the mornin' hours, get up early Saturday and start, or keep, it going allday. Saturday evening was a great time. It always seems like saturday is "The" day. Everyone was there that was coming and the party had just caught another gear. (read shift party'ers). Mo, Bob and Suzie, and others cooked a enough food for a damn army, and I ate enough for three people I think. We had a storm blow thru right along this time and myself as well as a few more got our asses a little wet. Now I got a good buzz (drunk) going, a belly full of good food, and my ass is wet. It had stopped raining by the time we got thru eating and I knew the party was going to be WFO from here on out so I thought I'd ease over to the cabin and put on some dry clothes,...and then do some drinking. Good plan...so I thought.
In the cabin I sat on the side of the bed and shucked all my wet clothes. Now remember I haven't slept hardly any in the last two days. So, I thought since it was still early and I know the party would go long into the morning hours...I might just lay back and shut my eyes for 20 or 30 minutes and then get back to the party somewhat refreshed.
Well, I did doze off for maybe 20 or 30 minutes, not any longer than that I know. And then the mob with the torches came.
I was woke by the sound of hollering and shouts of what sounded like a big crowd, (mob) , and they was hollering MY name,....KENNY....KENNY. I had my back toward the door of the cabin and was facing the wall. I got my drunkn' eyes open enough to see the shape of flickering fire on the wall in front of me, and the silhouettes of people walking outside. Now outside of my cabin was the firepit and they must have walked between my cabin and the fire for it to cast the shadows on the wall. I can hear Buzzurd leading the chant...KENNY....KENNY. It was like something out of the movies where the torch carring mob goes looking for the monster, who is hid behind the rocks in the mountain. At this time I could relate to the monster. It went something like this.


I'm hearing all this and seeing this shit all thru a buzzed... stupor/sleep and it's kinda weird how you can get real life and fiction confused when in this condition. I guess it was a good thing that my pistol was in my saddlebags.
All of a sudden the cabin door is kicked open and the mob with the torches was coming in, they had found the monster. There was cameras clicking, and a whole lot of hollering and shit, and I heard a woman screaming somewhere amongst the mob. After a few minutes of photo opps and ribbing the crowd dissapated. I did hear someone in the crowd say "don't make us come back, you better get your ass out here and party".
After everyone left I sat there on the edge of the bed and again I had to laugh, those are some crazy ass shits out there.
I started to hear the KENNY shit again so I got my ass outa that cabin and rejoined the party. I really don't remember how late the party went on but I was one of the last three standing. (well standing might not be the right word). It was a great party.
Now I'll fertilize a story a little bit, what with the incidental facts and all, but anyone in the mob knows what happened that night. The only thing that we probaly will disagree about is the part of the screaming woman. That would be Mo. You guys have got it all wrong if yall think she went running and screaming from my cabin because of what she saw. Some women can't controll their natural female urges in certain situations.

To all of you , even the mob, thank you for a great party. I got me some good friends.

See yall at the next Mountain Run.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous24/9/10 20:56

    Kenny it was a good time for sure, between D-ray and Cappierced, I couldn't stop smiling all night! Sure did this old man a bunch of good to relax amongst friends like you guys! Spring time can't come fast enough!..............Rick

    ReplyDelete